Thursday, November 22, 2012

Thanksgiving

I wasn't planning on posting today but then decided at the last minute to bring more than just pie to my brother's for the holiday. I've done a simple veggie roast of turnips, carrots, garlic, and lemons (recipe below - if you can even call it that) and my plan is to eat turnips in place of mashed today. I've concluded that one day won't make a huge difference on the pre-op diet as long as I don't go hog wild and part of that plan is that I am following the diet for the first hald the day. To that end, I had a protein fruit smoothie for breakfast and I'm having a frozen meal for lunch. The Thanksgiving meal is set for a bit later in the day (4:00 or 5:00ish) and that will be dinner.

Thanksgiving Veggie Roast

2 large turnips, peeled and cut into 1" cubes
3 heads of garlic, sliced in half
3 lbs. of carrots, cut into 2" chunks
3 lemons, sliced in half
Olive oil
Salt
Pepper

Preheat oven to 400F.

Lightly coat turnips, carrots, cut edges of the garlic and lemons and place on sheet pans so that nothing is too crowded. Roast 30-45 minutes, or until veggies are just tender. Veggies can be served room temperature or easily reheated.


And if you're thinking that roasted lemons sounds weird, trust me - they're divine!

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment