Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Changes, They Are A Comin'

As I edge closer and closer to my surgical date, the many less-monumental changes that will happen in my life are beginning to solidify for me. I say less-monumental because they aren't the Big Huge changes like the surgery, itself, or the accompanying weight loss. Instead, it's the smaller but more daily changes I'm thinking about. There's a whole list of things that will leave my life for either a very long time or forever after surgery.

Now, I know that there is a lot of controversy and different docs have different things that they tell their patients, but this is what my doc has told me, and I plan to listen.

  1. I'll be sipping water from the moment I wake to the moment I go to bed every day, forever, to prevent dehydration (a minimum of 64 oz. daily!)
  2. I'll have to take vitamin supplements every day for the rest of my life to fend off malnutrition, anemia, and osteoporosis
  3. Quarterly blood draws to ensure appropriate vitamin/mineral levels
  4. My (currently mild) lactose-intolerance could very likely get more pronounced
  5. No gum (If I accidentally swallow it, I'll end up back on the surgeon's table.)
  6. No soda (It can expand the stomach "pouch." If I'm having surgery to make my stomach smaller, I'm not doing anything to counteract that, period.)
  7. No alcohol (I hardly drink anyway, so no great loss) - though I've heard from one doc that this is only for the first year, I've also heard from another doc that it's best to just never drink again.
  8. No time-released meds
  9. Risk of stomach ulcers
  10. Smaller portions
  11. Very few sweets, fats, and carbs - a diet emphasizing veggies and protein
  12. A more active lifestyle with daily exercise
I'm sure I'm forgetting stuff or there are things I don't know about yet, but that's quite enough all on its own, isn't it? Deep breath. I can do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment