Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Pre-op Diet Day 1

As the title suggests, I started the pre-op diet today. I don't know that I'll be posting every day of this diet, but the inaugural day seemed worth talking about.

Breakfast was a protein shake made according to the Weight Center instructions: 8-12 oz. low fat milk, 1 serving of whey protein supplement, and 1/2 cup fruit. I used the Syntrax Nectar-Sweet protein shake mix in the vanilla bean torte flavor and opted to add the half cup fruit directly to the shake to make it a smoothie.


For fruit, I used the Dole strawberry/banana/peach frozen blend (just frozen fruit, no sugar added). As a smoothie, it wasn't too bad. The protein mix has a distinct vanilla flavor without being too sweet and the strawberry and banana really shined through.

 
I did notice that the protein mix frothed a huge amount when put in the blender with the fruit and the foam didn't subside after a few minutes, but stuck around the entire time I was drinking the smoothie. The foam isn't a big deal right now, but I think it might be an issue after surgery (I can see it turning into stomach pain pretty easily). I've seen these mixer cups around, though....thinking that might be a good alternative to the blender. I won't be eating the fruit immediately after surgery anyway, so I'll only need to mix the shake with the water or milk.

I have a choice for snack of another protein shake or 1 serving of fruit. I'm thinking an apple might be more satisfying. Lunch and dinner are supposed to be 4-6 oz. lean protein and at least 1 cup of non-starchy veggies. The WC nutritionist also mentioned that I could eat low-cal frozen meals instead so I bought a few. I don't love frozen meals, but I I got them easy lunches...hopefully they don't suck. ;-)  It's almost lunchtime so I guess I'll get to find out soon!

I know it's a bit nuts to voluntarily start the pre-op diet earlier than they told me (and the day before Thanksgiving, no less! I'm cooking for the holiday today and the smell of pecan burbon pie is Killing. Me.) but somehow it just seems to make sense to my brain to insert some order into the chaos of food around the holidays by starting a little early. And I figure that a little extra practice at this whole structured eating thing and my new lifestyle around - well everything - but food in particular, might be a good idea. Sometimes change comes slowly. I have a feeling this may be one of those times.

No comments:

Post a Comment