Friday, November 16, 2012

Marching Orders

I got my marching orders for the pre-op "liver shrinking" diet this week. I am under the impression that not everyone who goes through this surgery is on a diet like this and it's apparently unique to the docs at the Weight Center. It's relatively simple and focused on rapid weight loss for a short period of time...protein shakes and lean protein and veggies and a small amount of fruit and no sweets, starches, or fats for about 2 Weeks before surgery. I'm given to understand that it's the weight loss effected by such a diet that causes the liver to shrink, thus affording the surgeon more space to maneuver in my gut. And if he wants more space, he's welcome to it! Giving my liver a wide berth with his scalpel sounds like a fabulous idea and if I need to eat cardboard for a month to make that happen, so be it! This diet really isn't that bad. Just because it's healthy and low calorie doesn't mean it has to be low flavor. I'm thinking that some chicken beat marinated in lemon and garlic and then grilled would be very nice. And kale...I could totally do something tasty with kale! I'll let the cooking gears grind away for a bit, but in the mean time, I was thinking that I might start the diet a few days early. Technically, they told me to start it on November 26th, but I'm thinking I might start it on the 20th. I know, I know...go through Thanksgiving on this diet when I don't have to?! Yes. I'm thinking of it as a dry run for life after surgery. Plus, it gives me an extra 6 days to shrink my liver for the surgeon. That can't be a bad thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment