Monday, November 19, 2012

The Easy Way

While I thankfully have a life full of supportive, loving, people I have occasionally heard comments (not directed at me - even obliquely - but  in social situations and from a few people in university classes) that surgery is the "easy way" to lose weight. To all those people I say: You can salt and pepper my ass and prepare to bite me.

There is absolutely nothing easy about making the decision to put yourself under the surgeon's knife, knowing full well that you will never eat or drink like you used to again. That bears repeating: There is absolutely nothing easy about making the decision to put yourself under the surgeon's knife. Regardless of the reasons or the benefits.

(Notice I don't say that I'll never eat and drink "normally" because, in fact, after healing from the bypass surgery the eating I'll be doing is far closer to "normal" than how I've ever eaten before.) I'm rather looking forward to it, if I'm being honest. Not so much the surgery, or the pain, or the swelling, or the fatigue, or the IVs (ick! I hate the way the IV catheter feels in my arm!), or the liquid diet for 2-4 weeks afterwards...none of that. But I'm looking forward to being more comfortable in my own skin. To not feeling like I'm fighting with my body for every ounce I manage to lose - because that's basically what losing weight with PCOS is like. It's like being Maltese during the seige of Malta while being attacked by the Turkish empire. Hopelessly outgunned and laughably undermanned. In a word: Screwed. Yeah, I'm looking forward to being able to eat reasonable portions, exercise like a human being, and lose weight. Yanno....like "normal" people. There's that word again.

Which leads me to my next bit of business: The weight I am currently. I haven't mentioned it, have I? Hm. Well, no time like the present to come out of the obesity closet.

Height: 5'7"
Highest Weight: 347.8
Highest BMI: 54.5
Current Weight: 328.6
Current BMI: 51.5

Current Measurements: Bust: 53", Waist: 47" Hips 58", R Thigh: 35"

There we go! How's that for the ugly truth of the matter?

I start the pre-op diet on Wednesday (right before Thanksgiving!), so I'll have to wait and see what changes with these numbers between starting the diet and the date of surgery.

No comments:

Post a Comment