Tuesday, November 6, 2012

So Much To Do

As I have begun to wade into the fray of surgical prep, I'm realizing the vast number of minute details that need to be attended to and just...stuff that needs to get done. After 45 minutes of my brain buzzing through all this junk last night, I finally got out of bed and hauled out a Moleskine (do you know about Moleskine? I luuuuurve me some Moleskine!) and began writing a list. Getting it out of my head and onto paper definitely helped me get to sleep, but for every item I check off, there's about 3 more I add. It's getting a little ridiculous. I keep reminding myself that this can't continue forever, though, and it's just part of the ride.

Here's the list (so far):



The list isn't really prioritized, though there are definitely priorities. For starters, buying the protien supplement has to come soon because it's part of the pre-op diet I have to start on November 20th. And the power of attorney and healthcare proxy are top priorities, too, of course. I know a haircut may seem a little irrelevant, but it's been about 6 months since I've had a proper haiorcut and the ends are all dry and gross and my life will be easier if I take off about 3 inches. Eliminating hassles for after surgery seems like a good thing, all in all.

I attended the first of 2 nutrition groups for pre-op patients last Thursday. It was a lot of information I already knew - the need to stay hydrated after surgery, the required calcium and multivitamin supplements that must be purchased, etc. - but it was good to hear it all again. The nutritionist gave us each this massive binder full of tabs and not much else and told us that we will be getting materials to add to it at each subsequent nutrition group until we eventually have a binder that is a complete guide to life after gastric bypass. Pretty neat.

I'm feeling a bit less overwhelmed today as things have started to settle down in my brain. I still feel a mix of anxiety and happiness, but I don't feel like there's a pile of granite pebbles raining down on my skull anymore. Improvement! I'll take it.

No comments:

Post a Comment